After I received the PCB ordered form iTeadStudio last week, I soldered the components today.
So far, everything related to the quality of the PCB looks fine. The footprints match, the FR4 substrate handles the temperature well (1 mm thick option) and the HASL finish is ok and easy to solder on. It changes from my hand-etched PCBs.
I successfully programmed the PIC with Microchip’s USB device example firmware.
Unfortunately, the board wasn’t recognized once plugged. The LEDs were blinking, but nothing in the USB device list. After some investigation and noticing that the LEDs were brighter when the board was powered by USB than with the external power supply jack, I found the problem: I have dyslexia.
Or rather, let’s say: “Don’t name you schematic nets with names that one could mix up” Indeed, in the schematics I inspired myself from, there were two different nets with very close names. One called “Vbus” and the other “Vusb” all written with caps / small caps. And of course, I connected the Vbus to the Vusb and when powered with USB cable, the 3,3V regulator was by-passed and the PIC was fed +5V directly to its “VUSB” pin.
Luckily, the PIC didn’t die, even if +5V is over its maximum voltage rating. The PCB was easy to fix by cutting a track, adding a wire and de-soldering a diode. Unfortunately now I have to be careful to not plug an external power supply when my board is plugged to a computer (no more protection preventing back feeding of current to the USB cable). Well, I should live with it.
This board is inspired form Microchip’s FS USB plug-in board. I added a Texas Instrument’s RS232 transceiver (MAX3221), three LEDs, three push buttons and connectors with the six GPIO ports from the PIC.
I’ll play with it now to see what I can do with USB and all those GPIOs.