I started this blog by modding some “vintage” headphones, replacing the original bad speakers by a pair of Sennheisers. It was almost two years ago.
Last month finally happened what usually happens to audio jack cables: “qsdfg#efdfg#jnd#qdfg#skdglcvnqse” instead of my usual music (which is almost the same, but without the “#”s ).
I decided to totally pimp the new cable by using one of those “fabric 220V cables”. I had the idea for a while, but I didn’t realise the fabric covering isn’t actually glued to the cable and you can use it on an other cable.
I got one on eBay, 1.99€/metre, plus a 5-metre long jack/jack cable of reasonable quality:
The fabric covering is very easy to strip (it slides off) but more difficult to put back. It was a good idea to put tape on the cut end of the audio cable, so it could slide easier.
Then, I just glued the fabric to the jack plug and secured it with a cable tie when it was drying:
Soldering the cable back in the headphones:
After, I added some turns of thin electrical tape, to avoid the fabric fibres to strip out: